Survival Skills Sunday: Making Bread

It's a weird time.  There is so much uncertainty and unknown.  I want to keep things positive and helpful.  Let's focus on the good. 

Unfortunately, the stores are also overrun and it's hard to find important items.  I decided it was time I learned a few new skills.  First up, bread.  I make my own pizza dough, so I figured it wouldn't be too much different.

Let's practice good hand washing and wash for 20 seconds before getting started.  Ready and clean??

Here we go:

Ingredients:
3 1/4 cups and 1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
1 1/2 and 3 Tablespoons warm water
1 3/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon honey

Extra flour on hand

Optional:
1 egg yolk

Directions:
*In a small bowl add 1/4 cup warm water and honey.  Stir these two together until the honey is melted in to the water.  Then add the yeast.  Let this sit and proof for 5 minutes.  after the 5 minutes, mix to combine.

                              



*In a large bowl, add the flour.  I used my Kitchenaid.  Pour in the yeast mixture and the remaining water, which is 1 1/4 cup 1 1/2nd 3 Tablespoons.  Slowly begin combining these with a spoon or the dough hook.  Incorporate the salt and combine well.

 

 


*Once combined, sprinkle the top of the dough with 1 tablespoon of flour. 

*Cover the bowl with a towel and let it rest in a warm area for 2 hours.  

*Once the time has passed, preheat the oven to 420℉.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle with flour. 

*Drop the dough from the bowl to the cookie sheet.  Flour the dough and your hands. Divide and shape the dough into 3 loaves. I sliced the top of the loaves for a little decoration but you don't have to do so.  Make sure there is a little space between each loaf.  

*Optional: Beat the egg yolk and add a touch of water to create an egg wash.  Use a pastry brush to brush the wash on the tops of the bread loaves to add some color.  You could also add seasoning to the egg wash if you want your bread to have an extra taste.  I did not do this at this time since I am using my eggs sparingly, as they are hard to find.  

*Bake the loaves for about 25 to 30 minutes.  There's a trick to finding out if your bread is done.  You want to flick the bottom of a loaf and if it produces a hollow sound, you are good to go. 

*Eat and enjoy 😀

I love that this recipe is super simple and easy.  No kneading.  No overnight rising. Simple and few ingredients.  It was delicious.  The crusty outside and fluffy inside...YUM. 
I used one loaf the week that I made it, as I also made soup.  I froze the other two loaves. I freeze bread all the time and it always works well.  I just wrap the loaf in tin foil and label with a marker.  When I need it, I pop it in the oven for just a few minutes.  I then cut it in half and check it.  

I hope you try it out.  So simple.  Let me know if you do!

Life's a party; wear a tutu!
Love ya!
Janelle

Comments

Popular Posts